Saturday, December 8, 2007

It's a good thing I like crumpets!

I was at Wal-Mart the other day (buying new socks for everyone, if you must know!) when my cell phone started to ring. I looked at the screen, and recognized the number that shows up when my husband calls from Iraq. I answered and we chatted for a bit. After a minute or two he said "well honey, it's probably time for a new round of de-cluttering."

I asked why, thinking that maybe he had bought the kids a playhouse or something for Christmas, and it would be delivered in a week or two. But I was wrong!

He said "you might want to start de-cluttering, because it will easier for us to move."

"Move where? Where are we going."

"To ENGLAND!"

So yes, it turns out that our little family will be moving to England! Land of tea, crumpets, and Bob's-your-uncle.

At first I was shocked, and tried to hold back the tears. England? That's so far away from everybody--and everything I love. Plus, I just now got my living room the way I want it; finally sprung for curtains, a eucalyptus wreath, and hung all the pictures just how I want them. It seems I forgot the first rule of military transfers; they always occur just a couple of months after you've finished decorating and everything is perfect!

I was a little out of sorts the rest of the day, but in the light of the next morning I could feel my excitement start to brew. I have always wanted to immerse myself in a different culture, and the travel, education, and cultural benefits that all of us will receive are going to be priceless. I have already looked at the website of where we will be living, and it looks so cute! I can hardly wait! It's called Molesworth and it's in the county of Cambridgeshire. Oh, I hope I spelled that right!

There are still a few things over which I am apprehensive--fear of the unknown and all that--so I have decided to use the marvelous tool of the internet to help me out. So now, I am pleading for knowledge!

Do you live in England? Do you know somebody who does? Do you know somebody who knows somebody who does? And does that person have a blog?

It is going to be such a change; and to be honest I'm really not sure what questions I need to ask. I'm basically looking for general information that you think might help me out.

I have heard that most houses over there are much, much older than the ones over here. In fact, I don't think I have ever lived in a house more than about 50 years old. Generally speaking (and I know it's hard to generalize), what are the chances of me having a dishwasher? How about a washing machine and dryer--I heard a rumor that they are quite a luxury? What are the chances of me having more than one bathroom? Are the rumors about having a teeny fridge and only one power outlet in the room true? If you moved over there from here, is there anything unavailable in the UK you wish you had taken with you?

Please understand, even if my lifestyle has to change dramatically, I won't mind at all. I solemnly swear that I will not be one of those Americans who comes over and complains about everything and insists that everything is so much better "back home." I'd just like to be prepared!

Thank you to everyone who can help me out!

14 comments:

Frieda said...

This is so exciting! You have faith and a good attitude, which are the most important things you need to take with you. I've lived in several different countries, and it's true you have to make adjustments (some rooms have NO electric outlets, some places I've had no electricity at all, I've never had a dishwasher, usually not a dryer, but thank God always a washer --electric or crank--with at least one cycle.) But the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages and it's such a mind-stretching, heart-warming experience to live in a new culture. The key phrase to learn is, "This is neither better nor worse than what I'm used to; it's simply DIFFERENT AND INTERESTING."

Anonymous said...

I live in the U.K. and don't know anyone that does not have a washer and tumble dryer!! This isn't Coronation Street you know.

Whilst there there are many old houses,lots of folks live in newer properties, although Cambridgeshire is super expensive.Many homes have a second bathroom and all new homes do these days.

Housing is much more expensive here.
Educational standards are very high, much more than other countries.

Anonymous said...

This link portrays how English people perceive a lot of Americans live - speaks for itself

http://muchforgiven.blogspot.com/2007/08/tour-of-my-house.html

Dawn said...

Okay...here's the thing...

Will you and your husband live on base? If yes, then you will have both American and European outlets.
If you live on base your apartment will look like a normal apartment which may have a washer and dryer in the place or a communal one in the basement.

The 3 and 4 bedroom apartments on base have 2 bathrooms each and they are normal.

The military does it's best here in Europe to make us Americans feel at home when it comes to living arrangements.

Now here in Germany, they are making many of the families move on base, no ifs ands or buts about it because it's much cheaper for them then trying to work with the Germans and dishing out thousands of dollars / euros a month for that.

Oh yes...I believe in England their currency is the British Pound. Right now you can buy 1 BP for $2.15. That's not good at all!
The exchnage rates here are horrible! Bring lots of money if you plan on traveling....lol.
Germany is worse..and it continues to decline. US money is worthless here.

See all your family and friends now while you are Stateside and cherish the moments with them.
If something were to happen, it's not like you can hop in a car and drive to your destination.
It's a good 6-7 hour plane ride just from the East coast of the US. The West coast is about 8-9 hour difference.

Since I am not actually in England, I can't really say much more, but in all honesty...live on base if you have the opportunity. It will save you and your husband alot of time and effort.

God Bless!
Dawn

Dawn said...

P.S. Check out this website...maybe it will be of some help to you...

http://www.oconus.com/Main/UK.asp

Shellie said...

I've lived in the Middle East but not in Europe. I'd have to agree with Frieda though. Things are different. Not necessarily better or worse, just different.

I know of a few quilters in England that may be able to answer your questions. (Not personally, just their blogs).
http://quiltingbebbs.blogspot.com/
http://www.vintagepleasure.typepad.com/

Good luck with your move!

Anonymous said...

http://englishmusings.blogspot.com/

This link is for a lady that I "know" from an email list named Libbie. She's a very sweet lady!!

Tell her that Shari from Patriarchs Wives sent you to her for advice on England. :)

His,
Shari

Wendi said...

I don't know about England, but I did live in Germany. I did not live on base. Uncle Sam rented us the top floor over a storage unit for an electronic store. We had an european washer, but an American dryer. No dishwasher, but most of the base housing didn't have dishwashers either. You are allowed to borrow lots of things while you are staying overseas. We were able to sign out electricity convertors, so we could use our tv from the states and were able to run the microwave. It was an adjustment, but I really enjoyed my time overseas. We had satilite tv from England, Sky Network. Lots of current US shows. Just go with an open mind and embrace the culture!

Emmy said...

Well, I can't offer any advise on the country, except for. . .I hope you have a spare room so I can come and see you! :) Really, though. . .the first thing I thought when Linda told me was, "Oh, my gosh! Her kids will have the cutest accents and all their cousins will love it when they come home to visit! Just like I was so excited to see Sarah when she would visit from Austrailia!" So, there you have. . .cute accents. It's almost worth the hassle just to get that! :) LOve you!
Em

Linz said...

I thought you might enjoy this site:
http://www.effingpot.com/index.shtml

The American's guide to speaking British. Enjoy! :)

Linz said...

I should add that some of the vocabulary/descriptions can be crude.

Paula said...

Hi, I've only just discovered your blog after following a link on the homeliving helper website. I am English, and have lived in England most of my life. I was born in the Westcountry and have lived in Devon, Cornwall, Surrey, Sussex and Staffordshire. Just to reassure you, it is perfectly normal to have a dishwaher, washing machine and tumbledryer and they are considered more of a necessesity than a luxuary...at least by me! We are quite modern over here you know :-)

We do have old houses over here, but we also have a lot of new houses too. New ones are springing up all the time. Our current home is nine years old and has at least two power outlets in every room.

It must be very daunting moving to another country and culture, but let me reassure you that we English are a pleasant people. I hope you enjoy living here as much as I do.

Kind regards,
Paula

PS. You are most welcome to read my blog, if you want to read the blog of an English housewife and mother.

Anonymous said...

Hi

I'm another English reader and I can only re-iterate what Paula has said. I don't actually have a dishwasher...and I'm very unusual in that, lol. In fact a dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer are really considered necessities nowadays. Most homes are centrally heated, kitchens are fitted, but your oven may be smaller, showers here tend to be a bit weaker than American ones, most homes have a downstairs loo as well as an upstairs bathroom, you really don't tend to get a basement unless your home is very old, oh and you can walk more places as our streets all have pavements.

Again, although we have quite a few older houses, they are often quite expensive to buy and generally have been very well maintained, so if you do have to live away from the air force base the likelihood is that you will live in a newer home.

Oh..."Walmart" is "Asda" over here, we have plenty of American fast food outlets, you can still call out for a pizza, "the pub" is more for socializing than hard core drinking, we're not a nation of church-goers (as a rule)and driving here is an absolute bugger...small streets, loads of traffic, driving on the wrong side and roundabouts rather than intersections. However, if you get the hang of driving over here and get out and about you'll get to see tons of beauty and history. The English tend to moan about the weather, the government and whichever football team we support, we love the telly and we're not as polite as you think.

I hope you have a good move and enjoy your time over here. If you need to chat about your move here's my email. plainandsimple227athotmaildotcom

Blessings

Natalie

PS. I liked your post about Cathedral building.

Anonymous said...

I lived in England for fifteen years in a town in the Northern part the country. The rumors about a teeny fridge and single power outlets is certainly untrue. You're very likely to have a dishwasher, clothes washer and dryer in your new home. Though, more than one bathroom is really dependant on the amount of money you pay for the house itself. The houses in England are generally a lot older than 50 years. However, there are many places to live where the homes are modern and have been built in the last few years.

England is a lovely place to live, especially in the south. The unpredicatble weather is rather significantly outweighed by the beautiful scenery.

If scenery is what floats your boat, so to speak, try Scotland. Edinburgh, Fort Augustus, Inverness. Beautiful places to visit for a cheaper alternative to a holiday overseas.

What Natalie said is deffinately true, we English folk do like to moan about the weather, politics, the soap operas over here, and football. By football I mean soccer.

I wish you all the best with your move and hope that your family settles into Molesworth well.

Good luck.