Monday, January 7, 2008

Promptings




There is a quote that I read many years ago. I'm not sure how it goes word-for-word, but it is something like "God knows our needs, but it is usually through another person that he fulfills them."

My children have a preschool teacher that we all just love. She is kind, and warm, and sincerely cares about each child in her care. She is especially sweet and patient with my oldest, who because of some developmental delays, is usually the most difficult child in her class. As Christmas time started to roll around I began to think of what I could give to this special teacher to show her how much all of us appreciate her. Another child brought her a little holiday-scented box of air freshener and it's matching candle, and she mentioned to the girl and her mother how much she loved things to scent her home. So I thought about buying a Yankee candle for her, but it just didn't seem right. I thought about the "default" soap and lotion set from Bath and Body Works, but that didn't seem right either. I thought about buying something for the classroom--maybe art supplies--but I wanted to get something that she alone could enjoy. So for a while I didn't think of anything, and figured I'd come up with something at least, by the last day of school.

The afternoon before the last day of school I was at Wal-Mart purchasing things, and right then I decided I'd get her a gift card. I took it up to the register and told them how much to put on it. I was fairly generous, but I really wanted her to know how much we valued her. We got home and I had the kids decorate a card for her, but then I started to doubt myself.

What if she thought I was trying to show off?

What if it looked like I was trying to make all the other gifts look bad?

What if she was offended because she thought that I thought she was poor?

What if she hated Wal-Mart?

What if she thought I was trying to buy favors for my children, like wanting them to be "fish feeding helper" when it really was someone else's turn?


The "what-if's" were whirling around my head, an it was only because I was out of time that I went ahead with giving her the gift card. We went to preschool, and my oldest excitedly ran to give her the card. She praised their art work and gave them a huge hug, and then (a little teary-eyed) gave me a hug. I chalked up her happiness to the ABSOLUTELY STUNNING art on her card, and because class was about to start I slipped out the door.

Today, when I dropped off the kids she pulled me aside and said she wanted to talk about the gift we gave her. She said that she had been having a rough time lately. her boyfriend had left her, taking with him her car, camera, and other things. Her hours had been cut drastically because the Air Force wasn't seeing a profit from running the preschool, which of course affected her paycheck. She told me that the night before class she had been praying and told God that she loved all her children and the heartfelt gifts they gave, but asked Him to please--please--let someone give her a gift card for Christmas...from Wal-Mart.

She told me that we were a direct, specific answer to her prayers, and that because of our gift she was able to buy groceries for the week.

I was shocked. As far as I know, I have never been the literal answer to someone else's prayers.

At first I felt all warm and fuzzy, but on the way home I started to feel a bit guilty. You see, the "what-if" game is not uncommon for me. How many times had I felt a prompting to do something, or to say something, or to give something but didn't. I have such a fear of being seen as condescending or high-and-mighty that too often, I let it paralyze me and I end up doing nothing at all. The man I saw at Denny's, who was clearly homeless and ordered only water-I felt I should buy him a meal, but I didn't. The girl who seemed overwhelmed with her children, and I thought maybe I should offer to have them over, but didn't. The couple at the fast food place, who spread all their change out on the table, counted it carefully, and determined they had enough for a small drink--nothing more--I wanted to "accidentally" drop a ten dollar bill next to their table as I left...but I didn't. The elderly lady sitting next to me at church; I had the sudden urge to put my arm around her, and I didn't.

Were their prayers unanswered because of me? Because of my fear?

Maybe.

Probably.

...I think I just found my New Year's resolution.

9 comments:

LITTLE MISS said...

I think the fear of rejection is completely normal-- human nature. But you are right. We need to act on those promptings. Just tonight my husband told me he was late getting home because he had been out buying groceries for a family we knew. He felt prompted to do so, (neither one of us knew for sure whether they "needed" it or not), but we felt it was the right thing to do.

Thank you for the specific examples you gave-- it helps me view life's little situations through new lenses, hopefully making me more aware the next time an opportunity presents itself.

Sharon said...

This was a very good post and I know I've failed many times when I should have listened and acted on promptings. I remember the first time it happened to me was after picking my daughter up from Kindergarten and we stopped at a convenience store to buy something and as I was leaving, there was a young teenage girl standing by the pay-phone and asked if I had a quarter. I quickly said, "No, I'm sorry" and got in the car. I immediately felt guilty and thought what if she really needs to call someone to come and get her? What if it were my girl? I dug around in my purse and found a quarter and gave it to her.
The strange thing is that I really didn't think I had any money with me, because I rarely kept any cash with me.
I think most of the time if what we're prompted to do is to help someone, it's most likely coming from God. :-)
Bless you for writing this!

Emmy said...

Thanks, Cousin Sarah, for your example. How kind and generous of you. . .yay for inspiration!

Kim said...

What a wonderful story!

Sharon said...

How God has blessed both of you!! The receiver AND the Giver! This is a beautiful reminder that I need to let go of most of the "what if's" that always seem to float in my head. I need to keep reminding myself that there is no harm in being a giver. God will always find a way to use "us" as His heart and hands. Thanks for sharing!!

Anonymous said...

I just love your blog! You are able to put together cute little stories, helpful hints, and now this powerful message of faith and service. It's so easy to forget our spiritual connection as we busily go about our day-to-day lives. I hope I will be still and listen carefully and follow the promptings I pray to receive. Love, Aunt Linda xoxoxo

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

This is a wonderful post !
Thank you for writing about this.


I have linked to it from my blog; I hope that is OK.

Dixie said...

Elizabeth sent me! GREAT story. I can so related to all of your fears regarding giving. I do think when we tuck our pride away and not worry that other people may think negatively of us we make the right decisions. If only it were easier!

Anonymous said...

Your blog is great - when reading this story I thought of Mother Teresa's Anyway poem & thought I'd share it with you.
People are often unreasonable, illogical and self centered;
Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives;
Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies;
Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you;
Be honest and frank anyway.

What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight;
Build anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous;
Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow;
Do good anyway.

Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough;
Give the world the best you've got anyway.

You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and your God;
It was never between you and them anyway.