Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Dusting Powder


It used to be that no lady was ever caught without a generous dusting of fragrant, silky powder, and I really wish it was a tradition that endured today. For this reason, it is one of my favorite little indulgences.
I clearly remember my first; Strawberry Shortcake powder given to me by my Grandma on my fifth birthday. How I treasured it! It was such a treat to smell so delicious after my bath each night! I have tried many different ones since, but sadly many have been discontinued or are simply too difficult to find. I have tried the very simple and inexpensive, such as Johnson & Johnson baby powder in their various scents. I also loved a rose-scented one that Victoria's Secret used to make while I was in high school. I have even tried (and amassed quite a stash when I found out many were being discontinued) glittery, delicious-smelling and tasting Urban Decay dusting powder in flavors like gingersnap and marshmallow. I also like the more natural powders that companies like Burt's Bees make.

Since I am such a fan of making things on my own, one day I set out to make my own dusting powder, so that I could customize it until it was just the way I wanted it. I started by reading the labels on the more natural powders. Many were talc-free, which was handy since I don't know where I can buy a bunch of talc, anyway! It seemed the main ingredient was usually cornstarch, which I already have in the baking cupboard. So I got to work, and I finally created a recipe for a silky, fabulous powder that costs literally just a few cents to make.

This recipe makes just enough to fill a travel-sized container of Johnson & Johnson baby powder. I find I prefer small batches because I can change scents frequently without having a bunch of unused powder sitting around. If you'd like to be more fancy, however, I'd recommend using an old sugar shaker container, maybe with a pretty label and a ribbon.


Here are the instructions to make your very own dusting powder:
1. In a zip-lock baggie, place 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of cornstarch. This is where the "silkiness" of the powder comes from.
2. Add 2 tablespoons of baking soda. This is where the "freshness" comes from.
3. Zip up the baggie, and squish it about with your fingers to break up any lumps.
4. Add 1/4 teaspoon of your fragrance. You may need to adjust the amount according to the scent you are using.
5. Zip up the baggie again, and shake it like mad! Make sure that the fragrance is evenly distributed and you don't have any clumps.
6. Decant into your container (if you're using an old baby powder container, pop off the top with a screwdriver).
7. Let it sit for a day, then give it a good shake before using.


Now, for a word about fragrances. I have found that the scents used in soap making work wonderfully. I personally get mine from http://www.sweetcakes.com/
They have every fragrance you can imagine, plus about a hundred more! Their prices and shipping are also very reasonable. You could also look for fragrances at the craft store, but I find many of them to smell cheap. Essential oils are also a good way to go, but some can be irritating to the skin so test first and use with caution. If you use a high-quality perfume that doesn't have too much water in it, that would also be lovely and a wonderful way to layer your scents.


What else can you add? All sorts of things! If you're making some for a young girl, consider adding some fine soap glitter for a little sparkle. You can also put dried lavender or rose petals in a mini food processer and chop until they are as fine as possible. Then add to your powder for a natural scent and pretty confetti-like appearance.


This method is so very simple, but I promise you'll love it! In fact, it's a very real possibility you may get addicted to creating all sorts of new scents for yourself and for others!


Now that you have made this fabulous dusting powder, what should you do with it? There are so many possibilities, but here are some of my favorite ways to use it.


1. Sprinkle it on yourself after bathing, after taking a walk outside or anything that makes you--uh--"glisten."
2. Sprinkle a bit into your underwear drawer.
3. Sprinkle your sheets as you make your bed in the morning.
4. Add to your bath water.
5. Sprinkle into your rubber gloves. It makes them slide on so much more easily and will trap any moisture that is inside.
6. Use it on your children. Since it is all-natural, it won't irritate their skin (but again, be careful they aren't sensitive to whatever scent you're using first).
7. Keep a little in your handbag for freshening up in public restrooms.
8. Give it as gifts for almost any occasion.


I'd love to hear if any of you try this recipe, and what you think of it. And if you come up with any interesting scent "cocktails," be sure to let me know, too! I am obsessed with things that smell delicious!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clever girl! I'm going to try this soon. I grew up using dusting powder in a box with a puff...sadly, have gotten out of the habit. Just found you blog and like it!
lou

Jen said...

What a great idea! I'm going to try this. :)
I've really been enjoying your blog. I've tagged you for a book meme if you're interested. Here's the link: http://backwoodswife.blogspot.com/2007/05/i-was-tagged-for-this-meme-by-elizabeth.html

Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

I just found you blog site. I use to get into my mother's dusting powder when I was young. It made me feel so grown up and feminine. I found a site that has many recipes for it. http://recipes.herbalsoapsbyrj.com/recipes/category.php?CID=50

Thanks
Christy
lightheartedcb@yahoo.com

mysandrasdaughter said...

Thank you so much! My daughter and have been on an EBAY searching frenzy looking for something nice to store our powder. On a visit to Mimi's house (grandmother) my daughter found a beautiful crystal container complete with puff and mirrored top! We have just completed our first batch of powder using peppermint EO!

Thanks for helping me to spread the gift of feminimity to my daughter :-)

Anonymous said...

I live in Texas and before Katrina (Hurricane) there was a woman who sold her recipe of her grandmother talc-dusting powder. Since we have lost tract - she lost all and I would love to know what happened to her. Anyway, she bought her talc from France. Her grandmother powder was exquisite. Not fruit or food oriented, but that soft, peaceful, delicate smell that was grandmother. Her company was Friendzy's. She was from Louisiana and was selling her powder at Mistletoe and Magic in Tyler, TX one year for their craft show. Wish someone knew where she is. Happy Holidays. jlou