Friday, May 4, 2007

Tidying the Closet


Isn't this closet like a little breath of fresh air? Oh, how I would love for my closet to look like this! Unfortunately, mine more resembles a heap of something you'd find outside the dressing room of K-Mart. Not that I don't like K-Mart (and their Martha Stewart line of products), but sometimes they aren't the tidiest store in town. Anyway, my closet needs a little organization.


This is especially pertinent now, not only because I am in full "nesting" mode, but my husband begins his 4-day drive home tonight after being deployed. As it stands right now, he'll have nowhere to put his clothes! When he moved out I was initially so pleased with the extra feet of closet rod I found, and I used it liberally! I didn't store my summer clothes like I normally would, when I brought out my maternity clothes I didn't store my pre-pregnancy things. Since I nurse my babies I'll also need to store all my one-piece church dresses that don't lend themselves well to being hiked up under a blanket and having a baby stuffed under them.


Somehow, all the drawers in Sweetie's dresser are also full of random things--photos I didn't want the children to play with, socks without mates, and a multitude of other miscellaneous things. If I don't remedy this, his socks, underwear, and tee shirts will all be homeless.


My project for the next couple of days will be to transform my closet and drawers. I really don't have much I can purge or donate because CLUTTER IS MY ENEMY and I am always decluttering and purging. That means I will need to find places for everything. If only I could remember where I kept everything before Sweetie left! I'll probably steal at least a little room in Bun and Muffin's closet, since all their clothing is in drawers anyway. But this is hardly a long-term solution; I may be going to Target later on today and I will see if they have some of those under-the-bed storage boxes.


If I get time (and have the energy) I'd also like to go through my underwear drawer. It's currently a tangle of pantyhose, underwear I don't think will fit post-baby, tacky socks with embroidered kitties, and tiny lacy things that will not be appropriate in any way for nursing.


...but that's another project, and another post!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I still have a bag of that kind of underwear stashed away for "one day" eight years and three dear children later! How hard can it be to throw out extremely expensive ,beautiful designer little sets of bits and pieces that were purchased for a honey moon that resulted in a most welcome son 9 months later! Most of mine was hardly worn, let alone worn out. Good luck with YOUR clear out (and do it before your dh gets home...its amazing how sentimental our dh's can be too!) Gill; who popped over from Charming the Birds... and stayed to visit a while.

theups said...

I can't help but smile at this post. Our master bedroom closet is atrocious, at best. It's the one place where we shove things in when we can't find anywhere else to store it. You know, those "we-may-use-it-one-day" kind of things.

You are right... clutter IS the enemy! I need to get our my weapons (trash can and vacuum cleaner!!!) and battle that evil villan!!

His,
Mrs. U